Last Edition Recap
How have you applied the last edition to your life?
God, you have allowed us to learn more about you. You have planned for us to be here now. And you have given so much to ensure we may have a personal relationship with you. Please grow us and draw us closer to you. Teach us how to become more devoted to you. For Christ’s sake, Amen.
Based on real-life events, many books and movies are inspiring stories of people who have faced impossible odds. Showing a tremendous will to survive, overcome or achieve, these people become immortalized in the hearts of many. Some might become role models, others may become sources of inspiration, whilst others are labelled as heroes.
Chat Point 1
- Who have been the role models or heroes in your life? Why and What is it about them that inspires you?
20 Reasons why Jesus is the True Superhero by Jana Gordon
- No Mistakes – Jesus never made a mistake. He knows all things, created all things and has authority and power over all things.
- Fearlessness – Jesus never possessed a spirit of fear. His faith was so strong that it allowed Him to submit to the plan of God.
- Even-tempered – Though He displayed righteous anger for misusing God’s house, He never possessed selfish-fleshly anger.
- No Kryptonite – Sorry, no kryptonite here. In the wilderness, Satan himself threw his best shot to weaken Jesus and could ‘find no place in Him.’
- His Powerful Words – Today, His very words still cause people’s hearts to change toward allegiance with the Kingdom of God.
- Scared Demons – Although people didn’t recognise Jesus when He was on earth, the demons knew Him and shuddered with fear at His arrival.
- No Pride Issues – Jesus is secure in who He is as the Son of God. He never had an identity crisis or pride in His life. He didn’t need material goods or an extravagant life to know He had an immense purpose.
- Couldn’t Be Outsmarted – The Pharisees tried hard to bring Jesus down, even using the very Word of God to do so. But since Jesus was the “Word made flesh”, it was impossible.
- Didn’t Wear A Mask – There was no hiddenness with Jesus. He didn’t need a mask, a created identity or a double lifestyle. He humbly walked with God.
- Was Never in Danger – Jesus’ life was never in danger, preventing the angry mob from killing Him because He was in control of everything – including His death.
- Connected With People – Jesus loved people. He didn’t need a Batcave. He loved fellowshipping and spending time with others.
- Both God & Man – Jesus is Divinity, but He also became human, so He could relate to our experience and become Our High Priest.
- Died to Save His Enemies – What superhero would do something like this? Only Jesus would die to save the people who wanted Him dead.
- Never Sinned – A sinless life. Jesus lived by the Word of God. He never sinned and lived a blameless, spotless life. Worthy is the Lamb who was slain to take away the world’s sins!! Hallelujah!
- Controlled The Elements – Some superheroes may be able to fight amid a storm, but only one can tell the storm to calm down, and it obeys.
- Universal Authority – Jesus has been given authority over heaven and earth. As His followers, He has transferred that authority to us to act on His behalf on the earth.
- No Technology – No gadget, just the Holy Spirit aiding and guiding Him on the journey God willed for His life.
- Walked on Water – This was no big deal for Jesus, just a logical means of transportation. By walking on water, Jesus again shows Himself as the Creator.
- Weapons Not Necessary – When Peter resorted to violence in the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus corrected Him. Jesus didn’t need to use weapons. He was already God’s ultimate weapon against the enemy.
- Defeated Death – Jesus defeated the one nemesis that all other heroes are subject to, death. Jesus hung on a cross and three days later commanded life to come back into His body. He resurrected Himself. Now that’s a Superpower! That same resurrection power is available to all. It allows us to imitate Him and be superheroes for the Kingdom of God!
- Which reason do you like best?
- What new thing have you learnt about Jesus that inspires you?
Romans 8:37 No, we are more than conquerors through him who loved us in all these things.
Chat Point 2
- What does this passage tell you about God?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What does this passage tell you about yourself?
- What is God trying to tell you personally?
- How can you apply this lesson to your life?
Despite anything Jesus faced, He always won. In him, we can overcome anything the world throws at us. Despite our sin against Him, He still loves us and wants to help us. God is faithful.
Jesus said to his disciples (and to us) “…In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33b
What are your prayer requests?
Holy Spirit, you have been sent to help us face and overcome every situation we find ourselves in. Lord, help us draw closer to you, remember that you are the great overcomer, and remind us that nothing can separate us from your love. Keep us close to you. Amen.
In-between Chats: Personal Reflection
- What are the trying situations you are facing right now?
- How can you allow your group to help you face them?
- What do you need to do to allow Jesus to help you face them?
He WANTS to help. Without even knowing it, you can become an inspiration to someone else who needs it.
Edition Writer: Rev Kevin Zondagh
Executive Coach, Life Coach, and Ordained Minister. Founder of CoffeeChatConnect and the Exemplar Coaching Company.